I want to take a moment to talk to you all about what we found out today. There is a lot of confusion about the matter and I will probably leave you all confused as well, but I will try my best to at least give you a glimpse of what we are facing.
Isaiah’s brain surgery today lasted almost 6 hours! The main goal of the surgery was to remove as much of the cancer (medullablastoma) as possible, mainly that around the brain stem. I won’t get into the specifics of how they went about it (removing the skull portion, going under the brain, etc…) because I really don’t know how to describe it properly. Besides, how they went about it doesn’t matter, what they were able to accomplish and find out is what matters.
Let me just start off by saying that the news we hear now is that Isaiah now has two different types of cancer. The doctor says that this is good news. Sounds confusing, doesn’t it? How can finding two types of cancer be better than the one you knew of? I’m not a medical professional but from what I can understand, the good news is that they were able to remove enough of the medulloblastoma from his brain stem to uncover the second cancer that was underneath it. This second type of cancer is called astrocytoma. This type of tumor doesn’t usually spread outside the brain and spinal cord and it doesn’t usually affect other organs.
We know that the medulloblastoma is stage 4, the highest grade cancer. We won’t know what grade the astrocytoma is until we get the pathology reports back.
Either way, the doctor assured us that this should be the last surgery for a good while. I don’t think you can say that this is the last surgery because you never know what may happen. The doctor also told us that they will have to now begin to attack this with chemotherapy again.
Would you like some more good news? The good news is that it appears that the chemotherapy they have done has been quite effective. The fact that they were able to get enough to uncover the second cancer shows that they are making progress. Also, there are several spots that are benign or even calcified. They can’t remove the calcified part because it would be like taking a rock out of a sponge, it would possibly tear out part of the brain with it. It shouldn’t pose any danger, as far as I know.
When we left the hospital tonight, Isaiah was still under sedation and will continue to be so until tomorrow when he will have his MRI. They will then bring him off of the sedation and make sure he is “functioning” as he should.
There are still many things that need to be worked out and we still covet your prayers, good wishes, blessings, or whatever!
We were told this was a “make or break” surgery and we were under the impression that either they would get it all or they would not get it all and send him home and say that was all they could do. Now, we are facing some good news, some bad news, lots of confusion and many decisions that need to be made but we have to wait for the pathology results to know just what decisions.
As my daughter-in-law posted tonight, what do you pray when you don’t know what to pray? What do you do when you don’t know what to do?
I believe we just have to “Let go and let God!”
Thanks for your continued prayers!