First off, don’t get too excited about the title! I’ve enabled the link for my Spangler genealogy pages but I’ve not added everything I have on the Spangler line!
I am purposefully taking my time with this.
I had loaded up all my info for all my lines and was getting ready to make it active and I decided against it. Why? Well, there are several reasons. Here are a few of them:
- The backup I am using is from 2007. I’ve learned a lot of things in those 4 years. Some things have been proven wrong and other things have been added.
- Adding over 1000 pages at once will definitely lead to some errors and it is extremely hard to check out that many pages and get it right.
- Do these people really fit into my research? Some families are on the extreme edge of kinship.
- I want to make things different. I need to make some changes carefully.
- I want to take the time to add sourcing information to my pages.
I could probably go on with that list but I feel you should be getting my point by now.
The pages I have uploaded are my direct line for my Spangler surname. They go from my Dad to my 3X-Great-Grandfather, Gideon Spangler. No pages for uncles, grandaunts, cousins or any of that yet.
If you take a look at my Dad’s page you will get an idea of what I would like my pages to look like. I like the look and feel of a Family Group Sheet and that is what I am going for on this. The good thing about the Internet is that you can make that FGS interactive.
The first change I implemented that I hope will be a good tool, is to add the relationship of the married couple to me. In this instance, it simply says, (Relationship: My Parents).
I’ve added links to the right of my Dad’s name to pages that contain a bio, obituary, and a picture. I’ve also added a link to the memorial web page that my sister created for him. It helps you to see more than just a name but also see everything at once, like an FGS form.
One last thing, which will be missed if you have never been to my pages before, is that I eliminated the excessive use of opening new windows for obituaries, pictures, etc… I think most folks know how to use the back button now, don’t you?
I’ll be doing the same routine with my Forbes, Stevenson and Gamble lines and then I will begin to add pages to uncles, cousins, etc….
So, what do you think? Is this a better way to approach the reconstruction of my website? It will take time but, in the end, it will be a much better site. At least, that’s my opinion!
Have a great Thursday!