First things first, let me apologize to anyone who has visited my site since last summer! I’ve been so busy with everything else that I haven’t paid any attention at all to my site. Last week, while checking up on it, I discovered that all the links were going to my old site at forbes-stevenson.com which is no longer functional.
The simplest explanation is that I uploaded an old backup after losing my site last summer. I thought I had switched to using relative links throughout my site but I forgot that I had to use absolute links in my menus as they began to get too complicated to do using relative links. Being as the menu is the main navigational tool, then all my links were wrong.
Of course, being as it was an old backup, it didn’t contain all my research anyway. It was from 2007 so it was at least 3 years out of date!
This weekend I began the initial phase of reconstructing my website. The first step was to disable the links to the actual genealogy research as it needs to be updated. The second step was to fix the menus so that they had the right links to them. I still used an absolute link but I used the right domain name this time!
My next step was to go into my FTP server and delete everything I didn’t need for the shell of my website. Don’t worry, everything is still on my hard drive and in my Dropbox folder. When I say shell, I mean the index page and the other html files in the root folder of my site. I also kept the few images it needed for those pages. Everything else is gone. As I add things back in, I can be assured that there is no “trash” on the site and the space I have is used wisely. Of course, I don’t think I will ever use all the space I do have but you never know!
I have designed a couple of pages to be used as “launching pads” for my maternal and paternal lines. These pages will have the buttons for the surnames pertaining to them but no links are there yet as I don’t have that data done yet. As I finish that surname, I will add the link and make it live!
It’s gonna be a long process but I have to start somewhere. At least for the time being I can say that all the links are live, or at least they should be!
I’ll update you as I make progress.